Breast Cancer Facts
- Excluding cancers of the skin, breast cancer is the most common cancer among women, accounting for nearly 1 in 3 cancers diagnosed in US women.
- One of every eight women will develop breast cancer during her lifetime.
- Three of four cases of breast cancer arise in women with no known risk factors.
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, after lung cancer.
- About 40,460 women will die from breast cancer this year 27 women in Pennsylvania will be diagnosed with breast cancer today!
- About 1 percent of all breast cancers occur in men.
- Any man can develop breast cancer, but it is most common among men who are 60–70 years of age.
- About 2,000 men are diagnosed with breast cancer annually, with about 450 deaths due to male breast cancer occurring each year.
- In Pennsylvania, Centre County has the second highest incidence of breast cancer per rate of population.